Lemon Poppy Seed Crepe Cake
By Alexa Fernando
Preparation: 1hr 30mins
Cooking & Assembly: 3hr 30mins
- Combine all ingredients except the poppy seeds in a blender. Blend well until smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Before cooking, blend batter again but this time add the poppy seeds. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Heat a 12-inch non-stick pan over medium heat. Once warm, remove from heat then pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into centre. Swirl to cover the entire pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, return pan to heat. Cook until edges are golden, and centre is dry.
- Flip crepe. Cook for 20 seconds more.
- Place crepe on a plate, cover with damp towel.
- Repeat with remaining batter. You should get at least 20-24 crepes. Allow crepes to cool completely.
- Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add whole egg.
- When completely combined, gradually add egg yolks, then add the freshly squeezed Sunkist lemon juice.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let cool in the refrigerator (about 2 hours).
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream and 3 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold a quarter of the whipped cream into the lemon curd with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
- Gently fold cream-curd mixture into remaining whipped cream until completely combined.
- Grab 1 crepe and place it at the centre of a plate. Spread lemon cream mixture evenly over crepe.
- Repeat by layering with remaining crepes and lemon cream, ending with a crepe on top.
- Refrigerate cake until firm, then serve.
• Before serving, top with mascarpone cream and garnish with fresh Sunkist lemon zest or candied lemon slices.