Moroccan Eggplant Meatballs with Creamy Lemon Sauce
RECIPE SHARED BY ALEX CASPERO MA, RD & KATIE MCFARLAND
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add in the eggplant along with 1/4 cup of water, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the same warm skillet along with the chopped onion. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then add in the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add mixture to the food processor along with the spices, beans, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Pulse about 8-10 times until well combined, but not pureed.
- Remove and place into a large bowl, then toss with the breadcrumbs. The mixture should easily hold together, but not be wet. Add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Scoop 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, creating approximately 22-24 meatballs.
- Drizzle with olive oil then bake until firm and browned, about 25 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce. Add the drained cashews and the rest of the ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- Puree until very creamy and smooth. Serve with the meatballs for dipping.