Grain-Free Lemon Bars
by Jessica Bippen, RD
Preparation: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust (recipe below).
- Place the crust dough into the prepared pan. Using a spatula or your hands, press dough evenly into the pan making sure the dough comes up the side of the pan ½-inch. Press the top edge of the dough into the side of the pan to close any gaps.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is slightly golden.
- While the crust bakes, make the filling (recipe below).
- Remove the crust from oven and turn down the temperature to 325 degrees F. If center of crust has risen, push down and press any of the crust on the side back into the pan to seal off the edge.
- Quickly pour in the filling while the the crust is hot.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 18-22 minutes, or until the filling is still slightly jiggly.
- Let the lemon bars cool completely on a wire rack, then refrigerate for 2-4 hours to firm up bars before slicing.
- Sift powdered sugar over the bars and slice.
- Store the bars covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg.
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup. Mix together until smooth.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour and salt.
- Mix together until a dough forms.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolk until completely smooth. Sift in the coconut flour and stir until smooth.
- If using tapioca or arrowroot, make a slurry by taking ¼ cup of the lemon juice and mixing it with the starch to let it dissolve, then add it to the eggs.
- Add in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and maple syrup.
- Whisk together until smooth.