Maple Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
By Sally Camacho Mueller
COOKING: 35 - 45 minutes
- In a pot, combine the maple syrup and butter.
- Bring to boil and reduce by half.
- Immediately pour into an 8-inch cake pan. Allow to cool.
- Arrange Blood orange slices onto maple bottom.
- Set aside and make the batter.
Upside Down Batter
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla extract.
- In an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine butter, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Paddle on speed 1 just to combine.
- When the dry ingredients have been absorbed by the butter, paddle on medium speed for 1 minute to fully combine the mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl periodically.
- Add the egg mixture in 3 additions, scraping the bowl in between.
- Grease the sides of the 8-inch cake pan with the arranged Blood orange slices. Using a spatula, spread the mixture evenly onto the sliced Blood oranges in the cake pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until center is done and a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- Unmold while warm.
- Serve with a sweetened whipped cream or your favorite ice cream.