Preserved Lemons with Goat Cheese and Marcona Almonds
PREPARATION: 15 minutes
PRESERVE TIME: 35 days
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to a 1-quart canning jar.
- Wash and scrub the Sunkist® lemons well and cut 1/4-inch off the top of each lemon then cut in quarters, but not all the way through so pieces are still attached at stem end.
- Stuff each Sunkist lemon with 1 tablespoon of salt and squeeze it closed.
- Firmly pack Sunkist lemons into the jar one by one, pressing down forcefully so they are squished together.
- Make sure all Sunkist lemons are covered with lemon juice. If necessary add extra lemon juice. Tightly seal jar with lid and give it a little shake.
- Leave for 5 days at room temperature and turn jar upside down every so often. Refrigerate for 30 days before using. Continue to flip jar every few days.
- Before using, remove the pulp from the preserved lemon and rinse the peel well.
- Thinly slice or chop peel and set aside.
Goat Cheese Spread
- Whip the goat cheese and cream cheese together.
- Serve cheese on grilled bread, rustic crackers or crostini and sprinkle with preserved Sunkist lemons and almonds.
- Variations: For spicy lemons add a few dried chilies or for an exotic Asian flavor, add crushed star anise pods.