LEMON MATCHA PANCAKES WITH LEMON SYRUP
PREPARATION: 15 minutes
COOKING: 15 minutes
- In a large bowl, sift together the matcha powder, cake flour, and baking powder. Set aside. Lightly spray the inside of four 3-inch-wide-by-2 1/2-inch-high ring molds with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks, milk, honey, oil, lemon juice and zest. Whisk well to combine, but don’t over-mix batter. Small lumps are okay. In a separate bowl, beat chilled egg whites and granulated sugar until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it's OK if there are a few lumps). Gently stir one-third of the beaten egg whites into the flour-milk mixture. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined (take care not to over-mix).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. Put the prepared ring molds in the middle of the skillet and fill each with 1/2 cup of batter (it should fill each ring mold about halfway). Cover the skillet with the lid and cook until the batter rises to the tops of the ring molds and is golden on the bottom, about 5-7 minutes.
- Release the bottom of the pancakes with a spatula. Grasp the sides of the ring molds with tongs to stabilize them and then carefully flip. Cover and cook until golden on the other side, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and remove the mold.
• You will need 4 3-inch wide by 2.5-inch high ring molds.
- To make the lemon syrup, combine lemon juice and honey in a small bowl. Stir well. Serve with hot pancakes.